Okanagan Elite Athlete Values
by Adam Goodwin | 2013
Okanagan Elite Athlete
One of my many current roles is acting as the Marketing Manager (currently on a quasi leave due to my life and work in Europe) for Okanagan Elite Athlete, currently based out of British Columbia, Canada. This is a very fulfilling and engaging position that allows me the opportunity to work with today’s young athletes to help shape tomorrow’s world.
At Okanagan Elite Athlete, we provide a range of programs to various ages, sports, and skill levels. From summer sport camps, high school and club sport team development, in-school physical activity programs, to one-on-one training and education, we have the opportunity to work with magnificent and fantastic young athletes. Absolutely brilliant individuals.
With Canada‘s sports future currently being studied by many organizations and governments (local, regional, provincial, and national, in scope), the future of sport in Canada is very exciting. To bring transformational change to Canada’s sports culture at the grassroots level, all of Okanagan Elite Athlete has committed to achieving these founding values (below) we have developed and experimented with since starting Okanagan Elite Athlete in 2011.
The Okanagan Elite Athlete Mission
Firstly, our ultimate mission. Why each of us at Okanagan Elite Athlete wakes up each and every day happy, excited, and optimistic that today is even better than yesterday.
To provide to the sustainabiltiy of the human race through the education and teaching of life-long sport and healthy, active lifestyle.
We would love for all of our athletes to train, get a strong sports education, and develop into Olympians. With the current model though, even most Olympians need a more integrated sport education. Eventually, even Olympians need an exit strategy. Currently, the vast majority of NBA professional basketball players are bankrupt 5 years after retirement. They compete at the highest level of sport, and yet have no life-long support to live a sustainable lifestyle. This is part of what we do. Whether you are a weekend warrior, play intramural sports once or twice a week, compete in varsity athletics, or represent Canada on the global stage, Okanagan Elite Athlete wants all of those we work with to be set-up for a life of sport and physical activity, success and learning.
The Okanagan Elite Athlete Values
To help us carry out the Okanagan Elite Athlete mission on a day-to-day basis, all staff, coaches, volunteers, and trainers follow and live by some key values. These include:
- Ensure our locations and programs are accessible to all, regardless of ability, financial opportunities, gender, sex, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, intelligence, occupation, education, socio-economic status, ownership of material items ;
- Ensure when setting prices, our programs remain affordable in order to allow our programs to spread the benefits of sport to as many individuals, as possible, and that, if possible, we offer financial assistance to those unable to afford our programs;
- Ensure all of our programs and offerings are at the elite level that has become expected by members of the Okanagan Elite Athlete community;
- Ensure all programs, and the organization, as a whole, has a feedback and evaluation mechanism so that Okanagan Elite Athlete continues to serve the Okanagan Elite Athlete community;
- Ensure members of the Okanagan Elite Athlete community receive an integrated and effective sport eduction that includes opportunities to learn about sport-specific skills, mental training and health, nutrition, conditioning and strength, physical activity, training program planning, agility, teamwork, sportsmanship, sport success, leadership, life success, passion for constant learning and development, and the benefits of life-long sport (as an athlete, volunteer, coach, official, spectator, etc) and the role of sport and physical activity in one’s life; and
- Ensure all Okanagan Elite Athlete athletic and educational programs help better position the human race, and the world as a whole, to be sustainable, successful, respectful, healthy, and full of freedom and peace.
These values are designed to help keep Okanagan Elite Athlete in check with its priorities and purpose.
Why We Exist
At Okanagan Elite Athlete we don’t see sport as a means to an end. We see sport as something that is much more powerful and transormative. We understand and see sport as something that is absolutely vital to the world. That has, is, and will continue to improve the lives of persons in all corners of the planet.
Sport has shaped the past – look at South Africa and how Nelson Mandela used rugby to start the process of bridging the gap between the blacks and white. On a more local level, the UBC Okanagan Heat Varsity Athletics program has had numerous varsity athletes take the lead on some of the Heat’s fantastic community-focused initiatives and programs over their 20+ years of existing, living, and competing in the beautiful Okanagan valley.
Sport is hugely impacting the present. View a recent blog post I wrote about the Youth Summer Olympic Games in Nanjing, China in August 2014. For those in the Okanagan, take a walk to a local sports field or sports complex and watch all of the young children and athletes competing – learning the life-long skills of self-management of emotions after a tough, last-second loss; learning how to make good, quick decisions; and how to be a supportive team member as part of the larger team.
Sport will continue to be a major part of tomorrow’s global society and world. As an example, in the near future, Okanagan Elite Athlete would love to travel to other places in the world such as Africa and Asia to promote the benefits of sport to these areas. To allow and encourage girls to participate in our programs to help break down social, religious, and cultural barriers to a more inclusive- and principle-focused nation for these individuals. To have mothers cheer on their sons and daughters. We will continue to use sport to spread our #TakeTheActivePledge campaign, and the need in today’s sitting-centric society for adequate daily physical activity levels.
Your Call To Action
After having read this blog post, interested in working with Okanagan Elite Athlete? We are always looking for new partners and friends! Visit our website today to learn more and to get in contact with the Okanagan Elite Athlete office. Join the Okanagan Elite Athlete community!
Have ideas as to how Okanagan Elite Athlete can better refine, add to, and articulate our values? Comment below or connect on social media!
These are one person’s thoughts and opinions. I welcome and strive to get your feedback and own thoughts. Feel free to comment below or connect with me via social media.
Adam Goodwin is a Canadian working in the United Kingdom, and is a proud shameless idealist. His parents currently work in Cairo, Egypt. He has siblings and distant family in Canada and around the rainbow nation’s only home. Follow his year+ overseas on Twitter (@adam13goodwin) and on this blog.